|Type||Converter Tool, Transcoder Software|
|License||Freeware, Open source|
|Operating System||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Features||High Quality Conversions, Simple, Easy, Fast|
Handbrake is a free and open source tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs. It is Multi-Platform, can be used on Windows, Mac and Linux. It uses third-party libraries such as FFmpeg, libvpx, and x265. It is a high quality video converter, simple, easy, and fast. For those that want more choice, tweak many basic and advanced options to improve your encodes.
Early version of HandBrake was originally developed by Eric “titer” Petit in 2003 as software for the BeOS, before porting it to other systems. He continued to be the primary developer until April 2006, when the last official Subversion revision was committed. He continued to be active on the HandBrake forum for a brief period after. Since May–June 2006, no one in the HandBrake community was successful in contacting “titer” and no further code changes were officially made.
On 13 February 2007, Hester and Long were contacted by “titer” who informed them of his support and encouraged them to continue development. Plans were then made to reintegrate MediaFork as a direct successor to HandBrake. The MediaFork website and forums were moved to HandBrake’s, and the next release was officially named HandBrake. There is another transcoder, called VidCoder, that uses HandBrake as its encoding engine.
Supported Input Sources: Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV.
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9 and Theora.
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis.
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks.
- Title / chapter and range selection
- Batch Scan and Queueing of encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average Bitrate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR and CFR
- Video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Denoise, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and scaling
- Live Static and Video Preview
Alternative Download Options & other Platforms:
- Download HandBrake for macOS
- Download HandBrake for Linux .flatpak
- Download HandBrake for Linux – Ubuntu deb, PPA
Some GPUs or APUs contain SIP blocks dedicated to do calculations for video encoding (e.g., Quick Sync Video or Video Coding Engine). Such solutions are limited to a very few video codecs. When used, they are very fast but don’t necessarily match the quality of good software encoders.
Users are able to customize the output by altering the bit rate, maximum file size or bit rate and sample rate via “constant quality”. HandBrake also supports deinterlacing, decombing, scaling, detelecine, and cropping (both automatic and manual).
Most of HandBrake’s source code is covered by the GNU General Public License, version 2. A copy of which is included with every release in the COPYING file. Portions are covered under BSD 3 Clause.